Thursday, July 16, 2009

Molesi Commits to Oregon State

Defensive tackle Thomas Molesi became the fifth member of the 2009 Oceanside High football team to commit to a four-year college after giving an oral commitment to Oregon State on Tuesday.

The 6-foot, 240-pound Molesi joins wide receiver/defensive back Jerry Whittaker, who is headed to Arizona, and linebacker Jake Fely, defensive back Rene Siluano and receiver King Holder, who all committed to San Diego State.

Oceanside coach John Carroll said the Pirates may have as many as three other future NCAA Division I players ---- receiver Devon Taverna, defensive tackle Kenny Galea'i and defensive end Markus Tokoi.

"This is great for our school," Molesi said. "The five guys who have committed, we all grew up together."

Oregon State, coached by former Chargers coach Mike Riley, was 9-4 last season and beat Pittsburgh in the Sun Bowl.

The Beavers play a 3-4 defense, something different from Oceanside's 4-4, Molesi said.

"So I'm not sure if I'll be a defensive end or a linebacker," he said. "I'll do whatever it takes to be a Beaver. The Pac-10 is a great conference, one of the best in the country, and Oregon State was one of my dream schools. I've watched them on TV and I like their discipline, the chemistry."

Molesi said San Diego State, which offered the chance to play with his friends, was his second choice.

"I've been in California my whole life," he said. "I really want to experience something different. I'm so thankful for this opportunity. It shows that I stood out in high school and was good in the classroom."

"None of us, though, will rest. The Pirates are good because we work harder than other teams. We know the past doesn't mean a thing. How hard you work, the time an effort you put in, determines who wins championships."

Oceanside has won the last four CIF San Diego Section Division II football championships and five of the last six. The Pirates are 24-1-1 over the last two seasons.

"I'm so happy for these kids," Carroll said. "I'm glad we have some guys staying local, and I'm excited for the others."

Full Article