Sunday, August 23, 2009

Under Armour All-American Linebacker V.J. Fehoko Down to Five!

V.J. Fehoko has made the tough decision of trimming his reported 13 scholarship offers down to a top five. He told Sporting News that he chose his schools based on how strongly they recruited him.

UCLA, Texas Tech, Hawaii, Utah and Utah State have made the cut for the Sporting News Top 100 player. He only has one official visit set up right now, with Texas Tech in November.

"I'm kind of happy now," the Farrington (Honolulu) LB/DL told SN. "It has calmed down a lot now. I'm kind of glad to focus on the season, and I wanted to make these decisions before the season started, so I could cut down the recruiting to a minimum."

He said there's a good story behind the choice of each school. UCLA has well-known assistant coach Norm Chow, a native of Hawaii who has recruited the Aloha State with much success. Fehoko's brother plays for Texas Tech, while he grew up attending Hawaii games. As for the two schools in Utah, he said it came down to his faith, as the state is home to the headquarters for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Fehoko said he'll likely take his official visit to Hawaii during his senior season, and Texas Tech will be the weekend of Nov. 20, when the Red Raiders play host to Oklahoma. The rest of his mainland visits will likely come after his senior season is done.

"With each and every one, I found something special," Fehoko (5-11/215) said. "I'm going to take my five visits, and if I feel I have an answer, I'm going to tell everybody. If I don't feel I have an answer, I'll hold it off and signing day will be when I decide."

Full Article