Friday, August 7, 2009

Getting to know . . . Fili Moala

Position: Defensive tackle.

Jersey No.: 95.

Height, weight: 6-4, 303.

Age: 24.

Family: Wife, Jordan.

Hometown: Born and resides in Buena Park, Calif.

College: USC.

Pro tenure: Rookie, drafted in second round, 56th overall.


Your name is? "Tongan. Tonga is about an eight-hour flight from Samoa, about a six-hour flight from Fiji, in the South Pacific, north of New Zealand. It's similar to Samoan or Hawaiian. We're friendly people."

But you're a California guy? "Yeah, born and raised, first generation, my parents are from the islands. Grew up in Inglewood, California. I'm a Lakers fan."

What do you like to do? "I like to fish. Whatever, freshwater, saltwater, I just like the sport. Hang out, good friends and family, barbecue a lot, snowmobiling and snowboarding. I've got a lot of family in Utah."

Your parents understand football? "Yeah, over the years. When they first got here, my dad played a lot of rugby and boxed. Football was new to him, but the Rams were still in L.A. and he took to the Rams. That was basically the start of his football education."

So if he played rugby and boxed, that makes you the second-toughest Moala in the family? "He's got some years on him, so I think I take over by default."

Anything stand out about camp? "You've just got to take the positives and work on the negatives. I like how things are run. It's about getting better as a football player. That's everyone's goal. They're not about running you into the ground. It's about progress and production."

This thick facial hair the regular look? "Nah. This is about 2 1/2 weeks of just hanging out."

Full Article